Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 25, 14, 04:23AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  System Recommendations - System Design
| |-+  System Recommendations, System Design
| | |-+  Home Alarm without monitoring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Home Alarm without monitoring  (Read 4076 times)
Pirates1

« on: Nov 28, 10, 01:26PM »

Just curious as to what would be the best home system to use if I plan on not using the monitoring feature?
Security101
Tech Advisor/Moderator

Old Alarm Guy Honeywell Ademco Compass

« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 10, 02:21PM »

Welcome to the forum...

It all depends on what you're wanting to do...

I would spend some time searching the forum for answers as it's been discussed here regularly!  Wink

Jim

"It's a good time for BadGuys, and a bad time for GoodGuys" (Me)

Perseverance:  "Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition, or previous failure" (Will Smith)
Pirates1

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 10, 02:40PM »

Jim,   Thanks for the response.  I am just trying to deter someone, I have just moved to a 1200sqf house, and have already had a break in.  My neighbors are rock throw distance, but unfortunately they didn't hear anything.  I would like to install it myself, so I am leaning towards a wireless system.  I have three doors and three windows that I would like to put a sensor on.  I have been researching the DSC Alexor, but just not sure.  Any recommendations?  Rene
rcifire
Security Professional

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 10, 07:38AM »

If you are going to install a security system and not have it monitored by a central station, save yourself some money and just get a "Monitored by ........" sign made at local print shop!  This is almost the same as buying a gun and no bullets!  Smiley

Think about car alarms.  Most people don't even look up now because of the number of nuisance alarms we hear on a daily basis.

If you haven't already, read the FAQ about monitoring of your system for the pros and cons.  And no......I don't work for a central station operator.
SecurityAlarmTech
Security Professional

"It is better to be safe than sorry"!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 10, 01:25PM »

My neighbors are a rock throw distance, but unfortunately they didn't hear anything.

If you are going local & not monitored then I would highly recommend a concealed loud outside siren for maximum effect.

* Sometimes it is good idea to add a outside siren when you are more familiar with the alarm so any false alarms are kept to a minimum.

Used to work for A*T. Now self employed security consultant
Pirates1

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 10, 07:43PM »

Ok, thanks for the information.  One more question, can anyone tell me the difference between the Vista 15p and Vista 20p?  Which is better in the house I described above?  Thanks
ademcouser

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 10, 09:45PM »

Ok, thanks for the information.  One more question, can anyone tell me the difference between the Vista 15p and Vista 20p?  Which is better in the house I described above?  Thanks

For what you need, there's not too much of a difference. The 20P can handle more zones, more users and allows 2 partitions as well as a few other things. For the house you described, either would work just fine. However, the 20P is very close in price to the 15P, so as long as your buying it you might as well get yourself the 20P in case you want to expand in the future.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length