Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 17, 14, 08:09PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  Technical Support
| |-+  DSC Technical Questions
| | |-+  Expanding alarm system - notify monitoring company?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expanding alarm system - notify monitoring company?  (Read 1538 times)
Arsene

« on: Oct 09, 11, 03:52PM »

Hello everyone,

I have a PC1616 (ver 2.43) system, monitored by A*T. All 6 wired zones on the board are already used, however, I need a few additional wired zones. I think a PC5108 would allow me to add additional zones, is this correct? Also, if I were to add the PC5108 (to add a few infrared sensors) to my system and properly program the main board, do I still need to have the monitoring company (A*T) take some action, or do they not need to be notified of the new expansion board and infrared sensors added to the system? Lasty, any advice on inexpensive, ceiling mounted infrared sensors compatible with a PC1616/PC5108?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 11, 04:02PM by Arsene » Logged
Fishlips25
Security Professional

Ademco,Dsc,Napco,Dmp

« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 11, 08:29PM »

Yes you will have to contact them to put the system in a test mode so that you don't trigger any alarm signals on accident. You will also want to update the new zone descriptions with them. The PC5108 is the correct part for adding 8 expansion zones to the system. If you are looking to add just one or two zones you may want to check what type of keypads that you have. Most DSC keypads that I run into have an expansion zone built into it that you can run a wire into. Might save you the cost of the PC5108.

Alarm Technician
Arsene

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 11, 08:45AM »

Thank you so much for your response, Fishlips25. It is great you brought up the point of adding one or two additional zones via the keypad, because I could probably be able to get away with that. My system has two identical keypads, on the outside of the plastic enclosure all they show is the following “Digital Security Controls, Ltd. 18001721 RO”. I removed the cover to look at the board and on it says: “73-00767   PKP-ICN (UA17)”. I have been unable to find either a user or an installation manual for these keypads, so I cannot determine if they would accept additional zones as you suggest.

Do you have any advice on good, not to expensive ceiling-mounted infrared detectors to add to my system?

Thanks.
pdubose
Security Professional

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 11, 10:53AM »

If you are able to run the new zones off the existing keypads, you will still need to run a pair for power to the panel to power the motions. Would be less of a headache to just install a zone expander at the panel. Before you start adding anything to the system.... do you own it? Check your contract.
Arsene

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 11, 11:03AM »

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do own my system 100%, and I pay a monthly fee for monitoring services via a cellular link. I think I will just go with the PC5108 board, they are not expensive.

Any advice on a decent ceiling mounted infrared detector to use on this system?

Thanks
pdubose
Security Professional

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 11, 11:31AM »

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do own my system 100%, and I pay a monthly fee for monitoring services via a cellular link. I think I will just go with the PC5108 board, they are not expensive.

Any advice on a decent ceiling mounted infrared detector to use on this system?

Thanks
There are a number of choices. They are all relatively inexpensive, just pick a known brand that you are comfortable with. Me personally, I would stick with the DSC devices, since that's the panel brand.
Arsene

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 11, 12:28PM »

Thanks, that's what I will do, get a couple of DSC PIR detectors.
dilligaff
Security Professional

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 11, 04:35PM »

If you add a PIR to the system using a keypad zone you can get both the power and input at the keypad. Use terminals B and R for power and for the input use terminals P/Z and B. You need to program section 020 for zone that you are using for the input on the keypad and make sure that you enable the zone in section 202 or 203.

The difference between GOD and the FIRE MARSHALL is that GOD does not think that he is the FIRE MARSHALL

Before all else fails READ THE DIRECTIONS!!
Arsene

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 11, 05:44PM »

Thanks for the pointers, dilligaff.

The keypads I have are DSC 18001721 RO, I do not have any documentation on them and have not been able to Google anything on them.

Would this type of keypad allow me to add zones to my system?

Thanks
dilligaff
Security Professional

« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 11, 06:20PM »

Do you have 4 or 5 terminals on your keypads ?  The part number for the keypads normally installed with the PC 1616 begin with PK or RFK . The keypads have rounded corners and have either an LED display or an LCD display . If yours have squared corners it might still have the zone input if it has 5 terminals. As I said earlier the zone input goes to terminals marked P/Z (input) and B (common) you can take power from terminals marked R (positive) and B (negative or common)

The difference between GOD and the FIRE MARSHALL is that GOD does not think that he is the FIRE MARSHALL

Before all else fails READ THE DIRECTIONS!!
Fishlips25
Security Professional

Ademco,Dsc,Napco,Dmp

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 11, 06:54PM »

To find the model number of your keypad you have to remove the keypad from its bracket then unsrew the bracket from the wall. The model number should be on the back of the bracket.

Alarm Technician
Arsene

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 11, 09:37AM »

Thanks, fellows. I took one of my two keypads apart (carefully, without disconnecting it), and found the following: It is an LED keypad, appears to be model PKP-ICN, and has five (5) terminals, marked as follows: R, B, Y, G and Z. I suppose I can probably add an additional one or two zones to my system using the keypads, however, I need three more zones, so I am going to have to buy a PC5108.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length