Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 19, 14, 05:24PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  System Recommendations - System Design
| |-+  System Recommendations, System Design
| | |-+  System Design and Model Recommendations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: System Design and Model Recommendations  (Read 1754 times)
Lillypad

« on: Aug 31, 11, 09:43PM »

I have been researching home security and automation systems for some time and I am about to pull the trigger on a new system that I plan to install myself. I would appreciate some advice and feedback on the system I am looking at to make sure I have not left out any important pieces.

My home is older (built in 1963) and includes a single level living area. I want to protect:

•   (4) Exterior Doors
•   Only 1 Exterior Door is used for entry/exit for leaving the home. The other doors are only used when someone is home. (Backyard, porch, etc.)
•   (1) Keypad will be used at that primary door
•   Optionally, we would like a keypad in the master bedroom
•   (20) Vinyl (Replacement) Windows
•   Total of (7) Rooms and a Hallway
•   Living Room
•   Family Room
•   Kitchen
•   Dining Room
•   3 Bedrooms
•   1 Hallway

I have looked at two different systems as my starting point. One is the DSC KIT32-219 and the other is the ELK-M1GSYS4. I am leaning more towards the ELK system due to its advanced home automation features, but I would appreciate your advice in this regard. Currently, I am looking at these parts for my system:

•   (1) ELK-M1GSYS4 – ELK M1 Gold Security and Automation Kit
•   (1) ELK-M1KP – ELK Keypad for ELK-M1 Controller
•   (1) ELK-M1XRF2G – ELK Wireless Receiver and Input Expander
•   (1) ELK-M1XEP – ELK Ethernet Port Interface
•   (4) PLUNGER-G – ION Security GE Compatible Wireless Door Sensor
•   (20) MICRA-G – ION Security GE Compatible Wireless Window Sensor

I would also like to consider a motion sensor for the hallway, but would like some advice on what would be the best choice. (We do not have any pets.)

Also, just a few questions:

•   Does the M1KP Keypad support 2-way voice? Or is an additional module required for the controller?
•   Does the new ELK Navigator Keypad support 2-way voice communications?

I would appreciate any feedback that anyone is willing to offer. Thank you very much! I have already learned so much from this forum!
DEL Installations
Tech Advisor/Moderator

Low Voltage Systems Integrator

« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 11, 04:35PM »

Quick response,

The Elk is a different class of controller than the DSC, no comparison.

You can do 2 way voice multiple ways with the M1, however you need to install the appropriate mic's and additional hardware based on your install criteria and number needed.

Go to Elk's website and look up "two way" on the M1 section for products.

Electronics usually don't work as intended once the magic smoke is released from them

I'd like to be called sir at least once without being followed with "you're making a scene"
corxxgold

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 11, 01:34AM »

Focus your security on the easiest entry points first,, cover the ground level entry exit points,, if you have 3 doors and 10 windows start there,, you can always add to your security system,, 80 percent of home robberys come from the front or back door.  If you want home automation you can go with a Simon Xt,, with cellular communicator,, it does 48 sensors ,, so it could cover a big house and it has a wireless touchscreen,, dont forget adding smoke detectors,, they will call the fire dept for you if you have a fire

Edit: Remove company name
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 11, 07:27AM by admin » Logged
DEL Installations
Tech Advisor/Moderator

Low Voltage Systems Integrator

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 11, 08:52AM »

No offense, the Simon XT is far from a similar platform to those discussed by the OP.

Electronics usually don't work as intended once the magic smoke is released from them

I'd like to be called sir at least once without being followed with "you're making a scene"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length