Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 14, 08:47AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  Technical Support
| |-+  DSC Technical Questions
| | |-+  General System Tamper
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: General System Tamper  (Read 2149 times)
BluePilot

« on: Feb 25, 07, 08:00PM »

I have successfully completed a hardware reset of my DSC 632 (PC1555MX) and have control over all programming.  After combing through the installation manual, I commenced programming of the alarm and was very pleased with the result.  It wasn't necessarily intuitive, but I was able to figure out interpretting the messages on the LCD5501Z keypad and felt confident in my progress... up until I attempted to program the date and time.  I must have messed up the keypunches and am now getting a General System Tamper message.  The manual states that "all tamper conditions must be physically restored before the trouble condition will clear."  What could have triggered this?  Could there be a loose connection with one of the zones on the panel?  Did I knock loose one or more wires on the keypad (I kind of doubt that is the case)?  Either way, how do I "physically reset" the tamper condition.  I've tried powering down the system but that hasn't affected anything.  I'd like to try avoid resetting everything to factory defaults since that will require me to re-program everything once again.  Here are some additional details about the system.
   Presently no phone lines are hooked to the system and I have disabled the TLM option [015].  I have 8 zones consisting of two doors and window sensors.  Currently there are no wireless devices nor motion sensors.  My ultimate gameplan is to add an Uplink AnyNet device to handle communications with the monitoring station, but I want to get the basic system functioning first.  Aside from the trouble light, everything seems to be working fine with the system as was previously the case before I reset the alarm.  I've conducted searches in the forum for something along the lines of this topic and was unsuccessful.  Can you help??
Ken_in_Pittsburgh
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 07, 10:18PM »

How about disabling Keypad Tampers (Section 016, Option 8 )?

--Ken
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 07, 07:05AM by Ken_in_Pittsburgh » Logged

Dickens was paid by the word; I just can't stop myself.
BluePilot

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 07, 10:30AM »

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot and see how it works out (once the wife clears her Bunko group out of the house).  I'll get back to you this evening.
BluePilot

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 07, 01:02PM »

Your suggestion worked and the trouble light is now off.  However, now I'm concerend that I'm losing a little bit of functionality.  It's probably something I can live with (especially since it's defaulted that way), but it does bother me that this General System Tamper will still be indicated if I reset [016] back to "enabled".  According to the manual, this code will only be reported if the keypad is removed from the wall (or wires disturbed... something along those lines).  I should be able to enable Keypad Tampers, reset Module Supervision [902] and not have a trouble light indicated. 
   And by the way, will selecting Module Supervision Field [903] help shed any light on this.  When I do select this, the screen indicates 1, 2 and 17.  Modules 1 & 2 I would associate with the two keypads, but what's with #17?  Don't know if this has anything to do with my General System Tamper issue.  Thanks for all your help.

David
Ken_in_Pittsburgh
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 07, 03:06PM »

David,

You have to look at your keypad to see if it has a tamper switch that would be released if it were removed from the wall (are you honestly concerned about someone removing your keypad from the wall?). If it does not have a tamper switch, then no, you are not giving up any functionality by disabling the keypad tamper. If there is a tamper, you'd have to determine why it's not working. My intent was not to have you do without supervision if it's available, but rather to narrow down the cause for your trouble code.

Yes, 1 and 2 are your two keypads. 17 is a wireless receiver. You didn't specify if the 5501 is an RF keypad with built in receiver, or if you have a separate 5132 receiver on the system, but either would show up as 17.

--Ken
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 07, 10:05PM by Ken_in_Pittsburgh » Logged

BluePilot

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 07, 09:35PM »

Thanks again Ken.  You are correct in that I really don't need to concern myself with somebody trying to remove the keypad from the wall and can live without the tamper detect feature.
The two keypads are wired keypads (as far as I know) but now I'm thinking I should pull the covers off and have a look to be sure.  By referring to a RF keypad are you asking if it's a wireless unit? 
Ken_in_Pittsburgh
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 07, 10:04PM »

The keypad itself is wired to the control panel, but some 5501's have a 5132 wireless receiver built in, so that it can receive signals from wireless sensors. The 5132 is also sold as a stand-alone unit, which is wired directly to the control panel. As I said, in either case, it would show up in supervision as 17.

--Ken

BluePilot

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 07, 02:50PM »

Is there any way to determine if my model 5501 has this wireless receiver capability and how may I learn how to use it?  This may be nice to know when I add stuff like a wireless motion sensor or smoke detectors, then I can avoid having to buy some other wireless receiver to pick up signals from those sensors.  Or, in the case of the 5132 being wired directly into the panel itself, I've taken a look at it and don't see anything wired into the panel that would fit the bill.  Would it be wired via the Keybus?  At this point the only things wired into the Keybus are the keypads themselves. 
Thanks Ken.
Ken_in_Pittsburgh
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 07, 03:10PM »

Yes, David, it would be wired into the keybus. If the only devices connected there are the keypads, it's a pretty sure bet that one of the keypads has the built-in 5132 receiver. If you wanted to take the entire keypad off the wall (not just the front), there should be a sticker on the back. PC5501Z-433 would be the one with the receiver (conceivably, it could be 900 instead of 433 -- that's the radio frequency-- but that's probably a long shot. 433 has been the standard for quite awhile). It might be good to know which one it is, since placement could be a factor if you ever decide to add wireless. I'm not crazy about wireless, but that's just me. In your case, you could add up to 26 wireless zones with relative ease.

--Ken

Old EW Tech
Tech Advisor/Moderator

40 yrs. in system design

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 07, 05:07PM »

Since "usually" the wireless receiver (module 17) will not be enrolled unless at least one wireless device has been programmed, I recommend that you survey the premises for wireless sensors AND review the receiver programming.

Section 804, 01 through 32 should reveal any sensors assigned to zones; Section 804, 41 through 56 would hold wireless keys registered to the system.

Currently there are no wireless devices nor motion sensors.

You didn't say why it was necessary to default the system but if it was because you just moved in you will want to make sure that there are no wireless keys for your system floating around "out there" (defaulting the control panel does not default the receiver). 

If you don't have time to do it right the first time ...how are you ever going to find time to do it over?
BluePilot

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 07, 09:59PM »

A ha!!! Old EW Tech just reminded me of something that I had completely forgot about.  But first things first.  I executed a hardware reset because I got tired of the multi-year contracts that are heavily disadvantageous to the consumer and decided that I would take control of my alarm system, arrange for monitoring for much less, and have the capability to fix and/or modify my existing system.  This system came with the house when we purchased it new in 2002 and A** had simply taken over its monitoring up until our recent termination of service.  Now, back to the wireless stuff...
   I now recall that we do have a wireless key to the system that we haven't used in about a year.  My wife had twice inadvertently hit the panic button and subsequently visited by the police.  The embarrassment was more than she could stand and she has taken the wireless key and tucked it away.  This must be the module 17 that I'm seeing the system monitoring.  Let me have the opportunity to delve into the manual on section 801 & 804 and I'll get back to you.  Though Ken raises a concern about wireless devices (like motion sensors and smoke alarms).  I'd much prefer to have wired devices, but we're in a two-story home with the main control panel located downstairs.  I'd never be able to fish the wires through the walls without doing ALOT of drywall work once complete.  Unless there's something I don't know about???  My former home had a post-construction alarm system put in (don't recall which manufacturer) and we had to go with wireless door and window sensors.  We didn't have any issues with it. 
Thanks again guys; this has been a tremendous help.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 07, 07:37PM by admin » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length