Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 16, 14, 05:58AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  Technical Support
| |-+  General Technical Questions
| | |-+  want to add interactive features to an old panel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: want to add interactive features to an old panel  (Read 486 times)
aks2000

« on: Oct 18, 12, 01:59AM »

I have an old Morse MDC-16C panel, which works just fine. It reports the alarm events in 4/2 format. It does have a momentary switch input for remote arm/disarm the system and an output to indicate armed status.

I am looking to add cellular monitoring with interactive features like email alert for alarm events as will as open/close events. I looked at two options - Uplink 4550 and Napco Starlink SLe-GSM. Both says their units are fully compatible with 4/2 dialer capture , but don't state categorically if interactive feature will work. In fact, somewhere I read that interactive work with contact id format only.

Can someone provide some insight on this issue ? If someone has used thees or any other GSM cellular for interactive feature for 4/2 reporting, please share your experience.

Calling monitoring services like Alarm Relay or GeoARM didn't help much and hence, looking for help from experts on this forum.

Thanks a lot.
DEL Installations
Tech Advisor/Moderator

Low Voltage Systems Integrator

« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 12, 04:52PM »

There's a whole lot of items at play, and honestly, you're looking at a tough integration with old and obsolete hardware (even though the Optex/Morse stuff was halfway decent in it's time).

You're not going to get a dialer capture and interactive features to work with 4/2 or any other format similar, nature of the beast. SIA, CID and a couple others are defined communication formats, where 4/2, 3/2 and the older 4/1 and 3/1 since the formats are templated at the CS to determine what a XXXX/XX means, rather than an "E121" of CID format.

While you might be able to remotely arm/disarm via some units (interfacing with the keyswitch input) there's not much else you'd be able to do/see.

You're going to have to make a decision as to whether or not the panel will be servicable for your purposes and forgo the fancy bells and whistles or upgrading is necessary.

Electronics usually don't work as intended once the magic smoke is released from them

I'd like to be called sir at least once without being followed with "you're making a scene"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length