Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 16, 14, 12:02PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  Technical Support
| |-+  Ademco Technical Questions
| | |-+  Vista 21iP GSM Problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Vista 21iP GSM Problems  (Read 4294 times)
barwah

« on: Dec 08, 09, 06:09PM »

I installed a Vista 21ip panel with the optional GSM snap in communicator that is designed for the panel.  My alarm company came over to program my alarm to communicate to the central station and the GSM LRR is not communicating.  Alarmnet customer service gained access to my panel via the internet and they say all looks good including the programming associated with making the GSM work.  Further, we tried registering a number of times and the GSM never communicated.  The LEDs show a steady red, but no bars (since the GSM was never registered).  And when you press the status button next to the test button, the LEDs show a green for the Internet but no green light for the GPRS service availablity.  Further, we hooked a GSM/Internet module to the panel to test for signal coverage and it has full coverage.  It seems as if it may be a hardware problem.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 09, 06:12PM by barwah » Logged
Alarmtech
Security Professional

« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 09, 06:16PM »

Alarmnet tech support can dig deeper into this, I would give them a call.
astral voyage
Security Professional

NILAYA 2020

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 09, 07:07PM »

steady red led on status of the vista-gsm card and no signals means that the sim card is not active. if it is active, just in case, then it means radio has lost network contact.

it must be having an AID and AID-CRC number on it, if it has then call up alarmnet with this number to get sim activated. then register your device after sim is active using a 6160 or 7720p or by hitting the test button on vista-gsm three times.

now i also have one more question:
what about status of green and yellow on the status??
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 09, 07:13PM by astral voyage » Logged

Ademco/FBII/OMNI/Intellisense/Alarmnet
barwah

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 09, 07:54PM »

Only the red LED is on steady (meaning power is on) under the Signal Strength and Status LEDs on the control board, which makes sense because the GSM wouldn't register. We also tried registering via the internet, which was sucessful but the GSM would never communicate or activate.  When you press the Status LED indicator the internet light is a steady green and the GPRS had no light means there is not GPRS service.

We tried calling Alarmnet with the CRC number and they were unable to activate the GSM or simcard.  Leading us to believe it may be a hardware issue with the GSM card.  As far as the IP/GSM status LEDs we had a steady green and quick periodic yellow blink and a steady red.  I feel though that these may have been different at some point.  Also, another problem we had was once we had the panel registered via the internet it wouldn't signal a alarm at the central station.

Do you think a *97 would help?  With 47 zones I'm hesitant.  Thanks for the help.

Alarmtech
Security Professional

« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 09, 08:00PM »

I would not *97 at this point, power the panel down and re-seat the GSM card. Power up, let it boot, then triple click the tamper to make it register again.
barwah

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 09, 08:06PM »

I think we tried that, but I will do again.  Let you know what happens.  Thanks.
astral voyage
Security Professional

NILAYA 2020

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 09, 08:33PM »

if there is no led on status led s of the vista-gsm card then it is considered a radio lock up. you cant do anything about it, give it back and find a replacement.
personally i have seen many 7845gsmr s and gsml s going lock up, but have never seen a vista-gsm card do that.

i also didnt understand why alarmnet couldnt activate that sim card, unless and until it is not active, it will never communicate.

make sure vista-gsm is connected properly on the the panel, and one point to note: do not ever disconnect and re-connect vista-gsm while the panel is powered up. that can damage the radio permanently.
also, in *29 you should have the right selection done for "internal device"...if using ip and gsm, set the option. if using vista-gsm only, then program that.

vista-gsm card and panel have male and female connections, in past some of my trainees have plugged those unit the opposite way, so it does fit in but doesnt work.
panel also has a jumper towards middle left hand side, make sure that jumper is on top two pins.

if programming and connection is good, and if alarmnet verifies that sim is active, and it still doesnt have any led lit up on the "status", then return the unit from where you bought. radio is locked up.

barwah

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 09, 08:47PM »

Looks like all the programming is correct and the card is attached correctly.

I started looking at returning the card, but the company is out of business.  Bummer.
astral voyage
Security Professional

NILAYA 2020

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 09, 08:48PM »

one more thing:

if you want to see whether the sim is being read by the vista-gsm, simply go in programming in *29 with an alpha keypad....then hit 1*2

keypad will say "select key command"...you press function key "D" + 2...

it will say "mac and crc", press * and you will see "SCID"...if this field has ? ? ? (question marks!) that means your sim card is not being read. if it shows you the SCID number, that means sim card is being read fine.

at this point of time, if you have scid number there, just go "function key D + 5"

if it shows "searching for coverage" then it means your unit doesnt have any gprs coverage. if it shows prissi as -0dbm, that means your sim is not active or may in *29 programming you dont have gsm selected as internal device, or may be it is connected bad, or it is just a lock up issue or radio bad.

again i will strongly suggest you to call alarmnet and get activation of the sim done using "AID and AID CRC" and not the mac and mac crc, cause vista-gsm carry AID/AID-CRC number now which makes it possible to program those units using website.

dont default your panel, cause that is not required, it is not the last vista-gsm you will ever use, if it is a lock up, then you will get a replacement, i am assuming that you bought it from a good source.

« Last Edit: Dec 09, 09, 07:44PM by Security101 » Logged

barwah

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 09, 08:57PM »

That's some great info.  Unfortunately, I don't have an A keypad, but I will pass along to the installers since they have one. Thanks so much for the help.  I'll pass along what we come up with.
astral voyage
Security Professional

NILAYA 2020

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 09, 09:00PM »

your welcome, just remember, 'wen going gets touch, the tough should get going'  Wink

DoubleGang69

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 09, 09:34AM »

Let me ask you this do you have the antenna that comes with the gsm?  Without the antenna put on the gsm the gsm will never get a signal.  I have the same panel as you but i was testing the Beta version before it came out.  My Gsm would not communicate with central until I put the antenna on.  Hope this helps

Firelite Certified, IEI Emerge Certified
astral voyage
Security Professional

NILAYA 2020

« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 09, 12:28PM »

Without the antenna put on the gsm the gsm will never get a signal.

thats not the case, because vista-gsm has an internal antenna, and you also have an option of connecting external antenna to "improve" signals.

astral voyage
Security Professional

NILAYA 2020

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 09, 05:01PM »

thats not the case, because vista-gsm has an internal antenna, and you also have an option of connecting external antenna to "improve" signals.

just to add, by internal antenna i mean the one which comes with the vista-gsm, and yes like doublegang mentioned, that has to be connected while installation. if internal doesnt show good signals, then u should try installing an external 3db gain antenna.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length