Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 14, 07:46PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  Technical Support
| |-+  Ademco Technical Questions
| | |-+  Ademco 6128 Keypad replaced with 6150 problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ademco 6128 Keypad replaced with 6150 problem  (Read 5691 times)
tm

« on: Dec 19, 09, 03:13PM »

I just replaced my tired 6128 Keypad with a 6150 as 6128 is already obsoleted.  After replacement and power up, all the LCD at this new to me 6150 display lit up.  The other 6128 panel at the back door shows zone 7 alarm.  I can't input anything with the keypads.  What did I do wrong?  Do I have to re-program the whole system?  BTW, the control panel is Ademco 4110XMP.  There should only be 6 zones in the system.  What did I just get myself into?  Can anybody help?
Security101
Tech Advisor/Moderator

Old Alarm Guy Honeywell Ademco Compass

« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 09, 03:37PM »

Welcome to the forum...

You need to address the keypad.

Hook up power wires to the old keypad, press and hold the 1 & 3 keys upon powering up - what displays - should be a number between 00-31 - remember that **

Depower the new keypad, repower, press and hold the 1 & 3 keys till you see the current address,

press 00 (to clear), ** (the number from the old keypad) then * to exit

(this will change the keypad to the same address as the old keypad)

What happens?

Jim

"It's a good time for BadGuys, and a bad time for GoodGuys" (Me)

Perseverance:  "Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition, or previous failure" (Will Smith)
tm

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 09, 04:09PM »

Do you just connect the power wires?  I hook up power to the old keypad from the back-up battery while holding down 1 & 3.  Instead of a 2-digit #, I got an 'A' at the tenth digit.  What did I do wrong here?  Should I rewire the old keypad in place (all 4 wires)?  Since the terminals at these keypads are different, I had cut off the old pad connection & would have to splice the old socket back.

Edit:

Update

After fiddling around with the keypad, the zone 07 alarm code is gone.  It can now be armed and unarmed with old security codes.  What remain unsolved is the full on display.  Any suggestion?

I still couldn't get the address of the old keypad.  What did I do wrong? 
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 09, 08:39PM by admin » Logged
Security101
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 09, 11:03AM »

Might need to re-connect it for this operation...

The old one isn't a 6150"RF" is it?

Jim

Perseverance:  "Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition, or previous failure" (Will Smith)
tm

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 09, 03:26PM »

The old one is a 6128 which is obsoleted.

I was told to set this new keypad address to 31 since 4110XMP is using them as non-addressable.  I tried pressing 1 & 3 on the extra keypad at garage door and it did show 31.  But pressing 1 & 3 on the 6150 got only a beep and has no effect on the LCD display.  I now suspect this used 6150 keypad is defective.  What do you think?
Security101
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 09, 04:16PM »

Are you pressing 1&3 as soon as you power it up?

I was confused, thought you said 4140XMP, my bad... Shocked Grin

You are correct, address 31.

Jim

tm

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 09, 06:36PM »

Yes, I had my teenage son pressed 1 & 3 at the keypad within seconds while I was powering up at the panel.  I also tried having the button depressed while powering up.  Either way there's no effect on the display.  It still remains on.
Security101
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 09, 07:50PM »

It's possibly the keypad, I cant see what else it could be...

You've double checked your wiring colors etc - right?

The 6150 is compatible with the 4110xmp, and it wont allow you to get into the address screen - bad keypad... Embarrassed

Jim

tm

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 09, 02:28AM »

Thank you Security 101 for your help!

While double-checking the wiring as suggested, I figured out the problem.  It is a screwed up display.  I happened to look into the display at a sharp angle from the bottom when I was playing with the wire connection.  I can clearly see the present setting with the word chime & AC.  But when I look straight into it, every LCD word is visible thus covered the announcement.  I don't know much about these electronic stuff but I know something is wonky about the back lighting.  I picked this used Keypad up from Ebay for 1/3 of the cost compared to purchase new locally.  At least I can used the buttons on the keypad to set the alarm.  The old one has given up long ago.  We had to reset the password a few years back to avoid using certain keys.  When we finally ran out of keys to set the alarm, I didn't want to buy a new one to gamble on since I don't know what I am doing.
Security101
Tech Advisor/Moderator

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 09, 12:55PM »

If you're real careful, you can remove the board from the LCD and reset it on the little contact pad to maybe solve the issue. Their factory set to work but if their removed it's somewhat difficult to re-align them but it can be done...

Jim

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length