Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 14, 01:02AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  Do It Yourself Home Security Alarm Forum
|-+  Technical Support
| |-+  Ademco Technical Questions
| | |-+  Internal and External sounders (alarms)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Internal and External sounders (alarms)  (Read 1260 times)
keith

« on: Oct 21, 06, 02:08PM »

I've been researching systems for several weeks now and just ordered a Vista 20P - it comes with a Wave2 internal siren and I have a Moose MPI-30 (with driver card) to use for external.  I downloaded the installation manual and have been looking through it getting ready for the install.  My question - do I connect both the internal and external sirens to the same output terminals (3 and 4)?  And specifically, what does it mean in the installation manual (2.4) by supervised output and cutting the jumper located above terminals 2 and 3?  Do I need to do this?
This has been a great forum for me (I've probably worried everyone to death with my questions).   Appreciate any help.
Pete63

« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 06, 02:59PM »

My question - do I connect both the internal and external sirens to the same output terminals (3 and 4)?
  Yes unless you use a external driver card.

And specifically, what does it mean in the installation manual (2.4) by supervised output and cutting the jumper located above terminals 2 and 3?
This means that the system will detect if the speaker is disabled. You then have to place a 2k ohm resistor across the sounder connection.

DEL Installations
Tech Advisor/Moderator

Low Voltage Systems Integrator

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 06, 02:20PM »

Pete's answers are incorrect in this case.

Your MPI-30 is a speaker which requires the driver to be installed to power it, which is typically connected to terms. 3 & 4 on the panel. Other connections may be present however, these are the most typical.

Your WAVE 2 is a siren which has it's own integral driver, which connects directly to the panel's voltage outputs (3 & 4).

Sounder supervision will not supervise the functionality of a siren or speaker, only if the circuit is connected to the panel or not. Unless proper wiring methodology is followed, which is similar to wiring a fire alarm, sounder supervision would not be properly obtained.

IMHO, provided the siren(s) are located in a protected area or inaccessable (or tampered) for outdoor units, the benefits of sounder supervision are moot, since routine testing will provide a better answer of if your sounders are working rather than if the wiring is removed from them.

Electronics usually don't work as intended once the magic smoke is released from them

I'd like to be called sir at least once without being followed with "you're making a scene"
keith

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 06, 07:28AM »

Thanks for the replies - I understand now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length